Day 2 - Let It Snow!!!
We woke up Sunday morning to thick blanket of fresh snow! The conditions were perfect for skiing. We dressed in fifteen layers and went down to the hotel ski rental shop to pick up our gear. Then we took the shuttle bus to Lion's Head circle where we got our lift tickets and rode the Gondola up the mountain.

It was amazing to ride in a heated, enclosed, glass case instead of a metal, frozen bench with a bar that barely keeps you in! It was a long and relaxing ride up. Our anticipation grew as we realized the amazing view we would have all day. We had no idea what awaited us at the top.

I have never seen anything quite so beautiful. Only God knows how much His girl loves snow and that I feel closest to Him in the mountains. I wanted to bow down and worship Him right there. It was glorious and majestic. I just couldn't believe we were here. I couldn't believe this was on earth and not in Heaven. Tears filled my eyes when I thought about the gift I almost missed.

JJ and Andrew decided to start in the beginner area at the top of the mountain where it's fairly flat (in Colorado terms) to get used to their skis and get some practice runs. They used the magic carpet a few times and then took the beginner's lift so they could really start skiing.

Meanwhile, Joshua and I went on the intermediate slopes which ended up being more advanced than we expected. he got frustrated because I kept taking photos. Here are few that we took in that area. That is one steep slope behind me. Maybe photo opps were my way of stalling.

JJ and Andrew decided they were ready for the bigger slopes. What they didn't realize is that there is not really an in-between level from where they were to where we were. We ended up in an area where Andrew wasn't ready to ski at that level. He kept falling. He was getting frustrated and tired.

So, I decided I would "ski" him down the mountain. That was a crazy idea. But once I started, I didn't have a choice but to keep going.






We almost died a few times. Seriously, I was screaming "JESUS help us" really loud and then we'd slow down. Then we'd come to a steep place or a ledge and I'd start screaming prayers again. Andrew got to see and feel the power of Jesus' Name that day!

All Andrew had to do was stay centered with his skis between mine. All I had to do was hold his weight and steer us down. It was a miracle we survived. I skied the same run by myself later and it made me shudder to think we had just risked our lives and lived!

We only fell once. Funny thing is we fell at the very end on an area that wasn't steep. It was just slick! Actually, I fell. Andrew slid out from me and skied by himself down the rest of the slope. Maybe I should have timed that sooner.

I told him how proud I was of him not panicking and staying focused so we could make it down together. He said, "Mom, you did all the work. I just had to lean on you." It made me think about how God does all the work if we'll stay centered in Him, lean our weight on Him and let Him guide us along life's path - the steep, the dangerous, the adventurous and the beautiful.

We were all EXHAUSTED that night. I could barely move. Here is JJ and Andrew recuperating on the couch. I took a hot bubble bath and JJ took the boys to the hot tub outside in the snow-covered pool area.


5 Comments:

Blogger Jodie Wolfe said...

I loved the comment your son made about leaning on you. What a precious memory! :)

You glorify God in your laughter, your life... even in your ski prayers! I feel Jesus in your words.
Thank you for being His girl...

All's grace,
Ann

Blogger Ashley said...

Skiing looks like so much fun and I wish I could do it! I've tried and I just can't get it down. The first time I skied, it took me 1 1/2 hours to get down a 2 mile slope. I fell all over the place. It's hard work! Thanks for you comment on my post! Both of your blogs are an encouragement to me. I'm so glad to find a friend in you and Lysa.

Blogger Mamacita said...

I am not sure how I found your blog but I just wanted to let you know that it is inspiring. :) Oh, we've skiied as a family once and it was great. I love the mountains and snow so much, too.

Blogger MaryLu said...

That sounds scary! The only time in my life I thought, no was sure that I was going to die was on a ski slope in Boise, ID. And Bogus Basin is nothing like what you were skiing in Vail.
I prayed and prayed I would make it down safely. DH loved it, I'd rather sit in the lodge and sip coffee!

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
About My Guys
Links
Previous Posts
Archives
Search This Site
Miscellaneous
Credits