To Write or Not to Write?
We're just three days from Christmas and as tradition would have it, I am just writing our Christmas/New Year's letter. I considered not sending one, but then I knew I'd be risking getting cut from others' lists. I really like looking at cards, especially those with letters and photos.

I decided that by the time our card/letter and photo arrives it will be a nice little surprise during the after-Christmas-lull. At least that is what I tell myself every year to make me feel better! Really, it's a blessing that I don't send ours before Christmas. It would just get lost among the others piled on counter tops or tucked in Christmas card baskets. This way people might read it, although it probably won't be that interesting.

This is when I go into my, "Why am I telling everyone all of this about our family? Do they really care?" questioning. Do you ever feel that way? Last year I didn't include a letter and someone actually wrote to tell us that they missed hearing a family update. So, this year I will give a run-down of our year. Maybe I'll just include the letter to those who might care to hear about it.

Well, since you're here reading our blog, I'll draft my letter and post it. Maybe you can give me feedback as to what to keep, what I might need to cut. I'll be back soon with my first draft...


3 Comments:

Blogger Kirstin said...

Hi Renee,

Your blog title prompted me to go brew a pot of coffee to enjoy as I peruse your blog.

I too have asked that question "does anyone really care about what goes on in our lives", but then I decide "who cares?" I personally love hearing updates on everyones lives. I don't think it's bragging and I don't find it boring. So I say, send the letter and if people don't want to read it, they don't have to! I don't send one to my dad because he's one that thinks they're "bragging and boring".

Blogger Jodie Wolfe said...

I love family letters that people send. It gives you an opportunity to know what is going on in their lives. We try to do that with ours as well as also use it in an evangelistic way by talking about the Lord.

Blogger Joyful said...

Hi Rene,
First of all, just want to say I love your blog - the design is so welcoming and inviting.
In regards to a Christmas letter, I really struggled with that this year too. Several years ago I changed my Christmas enclosure, no longer sharing family news and accomplishments but more of a devotional writing with the focus on the true meaning of Christmas. I made this change after honestly assessing why I was sharing our families successes - felt for me it was more bragging than news. This change has been very well received and I trust it gives my nonbelieving friends even a brief moment to consider the Christ of Christmas. However, this year, I was struggling spiritually, and although I wrote a devotional, I couldn't send it - it seemed hypicritical when I was searching to connect afresh with the Christ of Christmas. I have had feedback that many friends missed this encouragement this year, but maybe we need to take a break every now and then so that the message is fresh and real, and to those who expected it, it will be all the more sweeter next year. I don't want this writing to become just one more thing I feel I have to do each year - I don't want it to just be carefully crafted words on a page -it needs to come from God's heart as I wait to hear what He desires me to share. Not only that, but it must reflect the true condition of my heart, and this year it would have only been like a "sounding brass and tinkling cymbal".
I attended the "She Speaks" conference back in 2005 and God continues to use the message you shared to speak to my heart. Thank you for sharing His truth - it spoke deeply to my heart.
God bless you.

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
About My Guys
Links
Previous Posts
Archives
Search This Site
Miscellaneous
Credits