Living in the Hear and Now
It's that time of year again. School is back in full swing and so is my speaking schedule. I pray with each invitation to speak that God would make it clear if that is the place He wants me to be in on that weekend. Often my events are booked a year in advance and I have no idea what will be going on in my life, my family's schedule or at work. It used to make me really nervous, until one summer when God taught me a lesson about living in the hear and now.
John 5:19, “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by Himself; he can do only what He sees His Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son does also.”(NIV)

I sat on the couch looking out the window thinking about the months ahead, wondering what that fall might hold. A lot had been happening in ministry - book developments, speaking engagements and great opportunities. My excitement, mixed with the fear of getting over committed, ignited a rapid firing of thoughts: Would I be able to do it all? Was God calling me to do it all? Was my ministry about to really take off?

Instead of worrying, I decided to start praying and wrote my questions in a notebook. "Lord, what should I say yes to? Where do you want me to spend my time? Please show me what you have planned for me this coming year."

I wanted God to give me a sneak peek into His calendar so I could adjust mine. Instead, I sensed Him telling me not to worry about tomorrow but to live in the hear and now. I think He may have even spelled it so I would be clear on the point of hearing.

I thought I’d been listening, but my prayers reflected that I wanted to know where to invest my efforts. God wanted my ears. He was more concerned about character than my calendar. Many times I’d sought God for the larger plans in life, convinced that if I figured out what He wanted me to do I could become the person He created me to be. Have you ever thought, “If only God would show me what job to take; what man to marry; what church to attend - then my life would be complete and I could serve Him with my whole heart”?

The problems is sometimes we get a glimpse of where He wants us to go and then assume we know how to get there. I’ve made that mistake many times and then wondered why I wasn’t getting anywhere.

Jesus depended on His Father for the large and fine print written in His life plan. He listened closely and obeyed quickly. Today’s verse reflects His absolute dependence: “The Son can do nothing by Himself; he can do only what He sees the Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son does also.” (John 5:19)

Like Jesus, we can’t fulfill God’s purpose for our lives unless our ears are always listening. We can only discover God’s calendar and calling when we live in the hear and now - listening for His voice and obeying here and now.

God, sometimes I have selective hearing. Many days I don’t even ask what You think about my plans and choices. When I do, it’s often because I am desperate and need to make a big decision. Then I get frustrated because I don’t know what you are telling me. Could it be I have a hard time hearing You because I have grown unfamiliar with your voice? Today, I lean in to listen. Make my ears attentive and my heart willing to live in the hear and now. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Faith Espresso

Each morning my goal is to quiet my heart and my thoughts. It's good for me to be still and acknowledge that God is God and I am not. Try this today. Ask Him to speak to You through His Word and His Spirit. Give Him permission to interrupt your thoughts and agenda so you can live in His hear and now for you!


3 Comments:

Blogger Jodie Wolfe said...

Thank you for your keen insights. How often it is that we want to "do" instead of "hear".

Blogger Bonita said...

Great thoughts, Renee. This post really helps me as I have some BIG decisions to make and from every angle the Lord keeps saying, "You only have to take the next step. You don't have to know the whole big picture." This was a great reminder to simply listen for direction for the next step, not for my whole life! It also takes the pressure off and I can simply listen to what He has to say for this moment.

I have to run and take one child to the dentist for an emergency visit after getting clobbered in a soccer game, and I'm thinking, what if I had to plan my schedule a year in advance? That is walking by faith!- and by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.
May I have enough grace just to do that today- day by day.

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
About My Guys
Links
Previous Posts
Archives
Search This Site
Miscellaneous
Credits