Day 3 - Falling Forward
Sorry about the long pauses in my cafe postings. I am doing a series on friendship on my Journey site and it's hard to be active with both at the same time but I am determined to find a way. If you're here for the first time, be sure to scroll down when you have time and read our whole Ski story.

Day 3: I woke up with my eyes swollen shut and my face so tight it hurt. I don't know what the problem was; maybe altitude?! You may be able to tell in this photo because I can barely smile.

We hit the slopes really early and JJ decided to stalk some of the ski instructors to figure out what they taught those little 3 year olds who could ski without poles. I suggested lessons, but no he was determined to save some money and time. He told Joshua and me they'd meet us at lunch and be ready for the big slopes!

Joshua and I ventured out to a few new runs since we'd gotten more snow and more lifts were opened. It was unbelievable how many slopes and lifts there were. You had to ski to one lift, then take it up to the next peak, then ski down another to get to the next lift to get higher. It was very confusing but we found our way to some amazing places.

We stood at the top of one peak and it was BEAUTIFUL, but then I looked down and panicked. We had taken an intermediate trail that offered no way down except an advanced slope. The intermediate run that would normally be an option was CLOSED.

Joshua kept saying, "Come on mom, it's not that bad. Watch me." I noticed an instructor showing a student how to get down - alive - so I went for it. It was SOOOO steep. I must have been going 50 mph!

When I got to the bottom there was a huge patch of trees with un-groomed snow in front of them for 30 feet. No stopping there, my only option was to take a sharp curve. Well, I didn't turn soon enough and ended up in the snow which was so thick I totally lost control.

I fell so hard my skis went flying, my neck jerked back (slamming my head into the ground), my legs were twisted and buried in a foot of snow, the wind was completely knocked out of me and I couldn't get up! Mr. Professional skier with no polls, Joshua, was standing at the curve watching and waiting for me to untangle my pretzeled self!

That was it - no more skiing for me! I had fallen hard and it hurt really bad. There was no way I was risking another fall like that. I was too tired and it wasn't worth it!

I laid in the snow trying to breath and figure out how to break the news to Joshua, when God clearly whispered to my heart, "Renee, you will never see all that I have for you if you are not willing to get up from a painful fall and keep going." Oh, and how right HE was! Look at what I would have missed that day.

A falling star became a super star!
Day 2


Day 3
Yes, that is the same child. He learned how
to ski down that huge slope - all alone.

JJ's ski instructor stalking worked.
He and Andrew joined us on the big slopes and
we ALL got to go to the very top.

Look at this amazing view!!
God knew what He had for me to see but I had to be willing to trust HIM and get up!

If I had quit, I would have missed God's sweetest blessings. But it wasn't just a lesson for that day. It was a truth that I think about again and again. How often I fall in life and get hurt. I don't want to get up and try again. I'd rather go sit in one of life's warm lodges with a little hot chocolate. Yet, what I would miss in life if I weren't willing to get back on my feet and trust Him again.

So if I ever tell you I want to quit because something is too hard or it hurts to much, please remind me of this story.


4 Comments:

Blogger Jodie Wolfe said...

I faced this myself on Monday when I was tempted to just quit when it comes to writing. But I knew I needed to dust myself off and try again - no matter how painful.

Blogger Mocha with Linda said...

Oh that's so good. Reminds me of that old Natalie Cole song:

Pick youself up, take a deep breath, dust yourself off
And start all over again,

Nothing's impossible I have found
For when my chin is on the ground, I pick myself up
Dust myself off, and start all over again,

oDn't lose your confidence if you slip
Be grateful for a pleasant trip, Just pick yourself up, and dust yourself off
And start all over again,

Work like a soul inspired, 'til the battle of the day is won
You may be sick and tired, but you'll be a man my son

Will you remember the famous men, who had to fall to rise again
So take a deep breath, pick yourself up, Dust yourself off and start all over again

Musical Interlude

Don't lose your confidence if you slip, be grateful for a pleasant trip
Just pick youself up, dust yourself off, and try to start all over again

Blogger Dawn Ward said...

Thank you for sharing that, Renee. I really needed to read it today. For me, it's not just about trying again after failing, it's about never trying at all because I am afraid I will fail. This is the issue I find God dealing with me about right now.

I am a perfectionist. I was taught growing up that if you can't do it perfectly, don't do it at all. I am realizing, though, that God doesn't require perfection...it can't even be attained.

So, I am taking baby steps trusting that my Heavenly Father will be there to pick me up when I fall and help me try again.

Blessings,
Dawn

Blogger Mocha with Linda said...

Hi Renee

The song is called "Pick Yourself Up" and it's on Natalie Cole's Stardust album. It's a fun lilting song like she does so well. There's about a 30-second excerpt on Amazon (look up that CD), and I'm sure the song is also on iTunes.

What a treat it was to have you stop by my blog tonight. And YOU were the blessing to me!

Linda

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
About My Guys
Links
Previous Posts
Archives
Search This Site
Miscellaneous
Credits