I got back from Illinois late last night after speaking at the Robinson Church of Christ Women's retreat. What a beautiful group of women - inside and out. We had a great time worshiping and searching God's word for the treasures of truth He has stored up for those who seek Him - and seek we did!

Today I mostly rested. Read a good book for a couple of hours. JJ was in TN running a half marathon (so proud of him!), and the boys were spending the weekend at my mom's house. It was so quiet, peaceful and relaxing here. Just what my tired mind and body needed.

We were scheduled for a house showing that never showed up, but then they came later tonight as we were headed out to some friends. My friend Jen and her husband, Bill, invited us to come over for dinner and watch the NCAA basketball game. Both JJ and I were so tired but I really wanted to have some "hanging out" time with our friends. We had gotten together with their family and other friends for Easter and it was so much fun. I wanted a repeat. I have a deep craving for time with friends these days.

I think with all the traveling I've been doing the past three years and working a lot, my soul has gotten a little depleted in the face-to-face friendship department. I am with people all the time and I love them. Really, God gives me the sweetest love for the women I meet. But then I come home and rarely see them again. I have to be very intentional about seeing my friends who are here because I will feel tired. I will feel like my people tank has been filled, but my relational tank is still low because my new friendships that I make at events can only go so deep since we just met.

I hope that makes sense. Do you have this same dilemma, or is it just me? Are there times when you're with people but it's so full of activity that you leave feeling like you really want to "be with" someone? Maybe it's just the touchy-feely side of me that longs to make memories with friends I'll know for years to come. I had a devo at P31 about friendships today and posted more thoughts on my journey blog, too. It's really something God has on my heart. Wonder why...


3 Comments:

Blogger pam said...

One of my biggest longings is the kind of relationships I had when our girls were younger. So much changed at our church and more and more women have started working. Too many are exhausted to have much night time or weekend time for fellowship. My heart misses knowing others and being known. The connections through other women makes my heart feel at home.

Blogger Jodie Wolfe said...

I can identify with you Renee. Being with a lot of women is not the same as a face to face friendship. I think you can grow close long distance as well, but it helps when you get to see each other too.

I am praying for you as you continue to recover from traveling. I also am praying for the house situations.

Blessings,
Pearls

Blogger Dionna said...

My heart yearns, longs, and prays for close Godly friends. We have "friends" but their lives are busy or they already have intimate friendships so we are on the fringes of that. We chat at social occasions, etc. But my heart has prayed for those friendships who will be there for my family - thick and thin. Encourage us, uplift us and truly be there.

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
About My Guys
Links
Previous Posts
Archives
Search This Site
Miscellaneous
Credits